- Jesus Lover – I love me some Jesus…seriously…possibly more than anything…And I believe He is absolutely everything to me…And sometimes I totally just give Him the middle finger and live my life…But I still love Him a shit ton.
- Storyteller – I’m going to tell you a story…because I’m a story teller…And don’t worry, it’s gonna be a “Long story LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG”…It’s all I know.
- Liberal AF – For as long as I can remember I have more than leaned left…I am left…and yes, I am still following Jesus
- Glass Half Full – Always. The glass is always half full. I am not a cynic. I love people. I believe for the best in a crazy way. And I believe for the best in each of us too.
- No Bullshit – I don’t have time anymore…I don’t care…I used to care a lot…I’m over it.
- Tequila – I’m from Texas. It’s a real thing. A strong Margarita. It is well with my soul…
“There is a difference between believing in Jesus and following Him. There is a difference between the ‘Jesus Light’ we get in lots of churches and the Jesus we find in the Third Ward of Houston. There is a difference between only allowing yourself to listen to Christian music and listening to Jesus instead. There is a difference between working your ass off to be good and loved. And being good. And loved. Because Jesus is good and man, He loves us.”
– Jackie Hooks, How to Start a Fire
The Last Things I Said Out Loud
Y’all. You can totally ask me to come speak at your event. I promise. I will make you laugh and cry and feel better about this ordinary life.